Monday, September 14, 2009

MADMEN









My girlfriend and I have been watching Madmen lately.

Set in the early 1960s, the hit series revolves around the world of the fictitious Sterling Cooper ad agency on Madison Ave in NY. As the characters struggle to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times, the series also depicts authentically the roles of men and women in this era while exploring the true human nature beneath the guise of 1960s traditional family values. Cocktails flow and affairs are as regular as dining out. Perhaps one of the most interesting and tense elements is the suggestiveness not of main character Don Draper's steamy extra-martial romances, but the one in his own bedroom.

This has lead my girlfriend and I to a new fantasy. If Don and Betty Draper were real, and if my girlfriend and I could somehow have a time machine to this fictional moment, and if we were all drunk after a dinner party, and they offered to swing. We'd become swingers for them.

No comments: