Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rainbow Hotsprings

My freshman year of college, we all signed up for different orientation trips. In groups of 7-10 new students, we took backpacking trips around Colorado. The one I picked had a hot springs. I was pretty shy 18 year old, and inexperienced.

After hiking with the group for a few days we all got to be friends and when we finally arrived at the secluded hot springs, we didn't think twice about stripping off our sweaty and dirty backpacking clothes and just soaking nude. It didn't seem at all sexual. I wasn't attracted to anyone on that trip. There wasn't even any real flirting going on. Maybe we were all too tired. All I remember is how nice it felt to soak in the warm water and ease the muscles and swollen feet. 

I remember taking some photos with my nice camera that had been a high school graduation gift and was loaded with slide film. This was the early '90s, I don't think any of us had a sense of how quickly the world was about to change. I didn't feel nostalgic when taking the slide, but I do when I look at it now. I can't even remember the names of the three girls, although we all seemed like friends forever then, and so close sleeping and dressing and eating and bathing together. 

It was the first or second week in October, the time when the Aspen in Colorado turn. It lasts only a week. It is the most beautiful time, if you can catch it.


No comments: