Thursday, February 05, 2009

IN EDEN, BEFORE APPLES

In college, I hated living in the dorms and having to eat in the cafeteria. That was a couple decades ago--I'm sure both dormitories and their food services have gotten much better. But back then, it was really like living in little concrete block cels and eating rehydrated mashed potatoes every day.



So, when I heard of a co-housing option, with a room opening up for the "Earth House," I applied. I didn't have long hair or smoke pot, but was pretty mellow and they seemed to like me. So, they let me have the room in the basement. Most of the members were girls, and they wanted a guy living in the basement in case of intruders. Just fine with me to live with chicks.



In spring, they planted a garden, and went it got hot, they peeled off their clothes. At the time, I accepted it as just another part of the average college experience. Now, years later, I realize people are much more conservative about nudity. Maybe it's age, or the times, but nude gardening seems so natural. Didn't Adam and Eve, after all, live in a garden?

No comments: